Translate the Club P.A.N. blog

‎"A mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions." - Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

Monday, October 12, 2009

Leipzig International School Visits the MPI-EVA to learn about the WCF, conservation & Club P.A.N.

On Monday, September 21st, the 7th graders from the Leipzig International School visited the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology to learn about the Wild Chimpanzee Foundation, Club. P.A.N. & conservation. Read about there visit by clicking here.

Slideshow: Images from Club P.A.N.'s 2008-2009 school year

The 2008-2009 Club P.A.N. school year awas a huge success, and we have compiled some images from the various schools into the slideshow above, enjoy!

The evaluation results from the first and second school year showed that the participating children's knowledge of environmental issues increased by 50%. This included information on the local flora and fauna, but also about biological facts and global environmental issues. Furthermore, the evaluation results of the second school year showed that the children changed their attitudes concerning the consumption of bushmeat. Prior to attending Club P.A.N. only 46% of children had negative feelings towards consuming bushmeat but after the lessons over 66% of participants felt that way (an increase of 20%).
Of the 763 children of both school years that were asked whether or not they enjoyed participating in Club P.A.N., 753 children (99%) answered that they “greatly enjoyed” Club P.A.N.. The remaining 10 children (1%) said that they did not like participating in the Club.
Of the 753 children of both school years that were asked whether they would like to participate in a nature club again in the following year, 94% answered “yes”. Thus, pupils not only learnt about biology and conservation but they also enjoyed doing so and would like to continue to do so in the year to come.
Using these evaluation results, we show that Club P.A.N. was able to increase the knowledge of the children and to change attitudes concerning the consumption of bushmeat and we were able to create a fun and dynamic learning environment that the children enjoyed and that they hope to continue with in the year to come.